A person must be in touch with your doctor relative to your plans to begin using supplements with your child. Most people do not realize that all naturals can be toxic if misused or combined with certain existing medications. Perhaps your pediatrician or even a naturopathic doctor can guide your choices and monitor progress in symptoms.
The following paragraphs will list out the supplements that we have found to be beneficial in our home. To understand healthy supplementation, I have included several resources for parents to research and gain a better understanding. You can find these resources at the bottom of the article.
- Liquid Nutrition - Body Balance - http://www.liquidhealthproducts.com/liquid-vitamins.htm whole food supplementation (has vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids and more) I used this to help primarily with nutrition concerns because my children were not getting good nutrition. Neither child would take a pill either so liquid vitamins were a good solution. I take these vitamins, too.
- We recently found Melaleuca Unforgettables to aide with ADHD and weak memory symptoms. http://www.melaleuca.com/ps/index.cfm?f=ps.productDetail&pid=8654&sCatId=2163. These have Omega's EFAs and other ingredients that aid in memory and antioxidants for overall brain health. I take their Vitality for Life Vitamin/Supplement Packs and have noticed a positive difference in my energy, well-being and even sleep. I do not need to take sleep supplements anymore.
- Nature's Way EFAs for Children is a big hit with us, too. Soft gel caps that you can easily put within thick and creamy yogurt (yoplait) and then they are easy to swallow. http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Blend-Children-softgels/dp/B00014DTQW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1226624643&sr=8-1
- Yummi Bears are a favorite here, too. There is a whole line of Yummi Bear products all natural, no additives or dyes, wheat or gluten. They cover calcium, fiber, minerals vitamins, whole food supplements, omega's, and more. http://www.yummibears.com/
- We also looked into Juice Plus for daily fruits and vegetable intake. My children did not like their overall taste so we went to Yummi Bears for fruits and vegetables.
The following two documents are from Dianne Craft. She offers these free from her website.
Natural Supplement Research link http://www.amenclinics.com/brain-science/natural-supplement-research/ is provided from Dr. Daniel Amen.
This next link is for supplementing during traditional cancer treatment. http://www.lef.org/protocols/cancer/alternative_cancer_therapies_01.htm
An article on using supplements safely in your everyday nutrition can be found here http://www.healthcastle.com/herb_tips.shtml
Colleen Bain, M.A.